In last Saturday’s Free Lance-Star column, I shared about my struggle with body image since the birth of my four daughters. Three babies in four years really takes a toll on a woman. Especially when those pregnancies are high-risk and end in c-sections. A surprise “advanced maternal age” pregnancy five years later did nothing to help the situation.
Visit the Free Lance-Star website to read the column: We are all flawless in God’s eyes. When you are finished, I would love for you to come back here and join the conversation in the comments below.
Question: How have you allowed your outward appearance to define your inward worth? What truths have you applied to your life that have allowed you to see yourself as you really are – flawless?
In today’s Free Lance Star column I share the story of Elisabeth Elliot and her amazing life. You can read that here – Free Lance-Star Column.
For those that would like to know more about this incredible woman, visit the resources below.
- At The End of the Spear – the trailer to the theatrical dramatization of the events that took place with the Auca Indians in Ecuador.
- Beyond the Gates of Splendor – the trailer for a documentary that was made to accompany the movie
- Through Gates of Splendor – Elisabeth’s book about the life and death of her husband and four other missionaries in Ecuador. I highly recommend this book. It is a must read for every Christian.
- Elisabeth Elliot tribute – a wonderful tribute published by the Gospel Coalition. Includes voice recordings of two of Elisabeth’s presentations.
This week’s Free Lance-Star column was a very difficult one to write. I know that my opinion will not be a popular one among many Christian circles, but I feel very strongly that we must be ever vigilant for any deviations from the teaching of Christ.
You can read my column here. I do feel the need to make one thing clear. I do not write the headlines for my columns and I do not see them until they are printed. This particular headline suggests that the Duggars are not Christians. Something that I do not agree with in the least.
If the Duggars believe that Jesus died on the cross for their sins and rose from the grave conquering death, they are saved and will spend eternity in heaven. Our behavior does not secure our place in Christ’s Kingdom, His sacrifice for our sins did that. It is just up to us to accept that free gift.
Here are a few of the promised resources. I will be adding more here in the days to come, so check back later in the week.
- Recovering Grace – this site is where I first learned about the issues surrounding Bill Gothard’s ministry.
- Michael J. Murray grew up in a family like the Duggar’s that followed Bill Gothard’s teachings. This is his account of that experience. On Growing Up in Bill Gothard’s Homeschool Cult.
I am so excited about this week’s Free Lance Star column and the chance to introduce you to Bible art journaling and Illustrated Faith. For a quick explanation, hop on over to the Free Lance Star website and then come back over here for helpful links and resources to get you started. (This post contains affiliate links.)
- If you are as excited about this as I am and are looking to get started, the first place to go is to the Illustrated Faith website. Be sure to sign up for their newsletter. When you do you will receive a tools checklist. I love that they say that all you really need is a Bible and pen.
- For those planning on doing more in-depth illustrations, I highly recommend checking out Rebekah Jones’ site. She has been posting a weekly challenge using different art techniques and process videos all year. Even better, she has been sharing amazing insights about what God is teaching her through her study.
- Love stamping? You can purchase stamp sets and accompanying devotionals at the Illustrated Faith Etsy Shop. Be sure to read through the product comparison posts over at the Illustrated Faith blog to be sure you use an ink that is compatible with thin Bible pages.
- You can find thousands of other believers who are expressing their new found way to worship God on social media. On Facebook, look for the Journaling Bible Community. You can also find Illustrated Faith on Instagram and Twitter.
- Below, I have included links to some of my favorite products to use. I truly believe that we should not be covering up any of God’s word, so everything I use is either transparent or meant to be used in the margins. You will find that most journaling Bibles are sold out everywhere at the moment. Thankfully, they are scheduled to be back in stock mid-June.
- Finally, check back here every Friday as I will be sharing one of my illustrations and what God taught me through the process.
If this new way to worship God has struck a chord with the creative side of you, please let me know in the comments below. I am hoping to coordinate several Illustrated Faith meet-ups this summer. If you are local, I would love for you to join us!
Make sure to subscribe so that you don’t miss any of the fun!
Congratulations to Melanie Hobbs! She is the winner of the two week Mind Management for Moms e-course from Power of Moms. (This post contains affiliate links.)
Thank you to everyone who entered. I wish I could give each one of you access to this amazing course. If you decide to purchase this course for yourself, you can access it through the link in the sidebar on the right. I know the price may seem high, but I promise it is worth every penny.
This course is the equivalent of hiring a personal organizer to walk you through the process of getting control of all of the areas of life we juggle as moms. When you compare the cost of a professional organizer with this course, you realize what a value it truly is.
Let me hear from you. What would getting organized help you to accomplish in life?